UPDATE: Vineyard deals with nor’easter mess


Update 10/30/21

Days after a northeast swept through the vineyard, power outages persist with around 162 customers still affected, according to MEMA’s outage map. This is a significant decrease from the 2,000 islanders who still had no electricity on Friday morning.

At a press briefing Thursday, Eversource CEO Joseph Nolan pledged that 98 percent of customers would have their power restored in southeastern Massachusetts by 6 p.m. Saturday. Schools on the island, after two days off due to widespread power outages, resumed classes on Friday. On Saturday, pockets of blackouts persisted on the vineyard although numbers were drastically reduced. Eversource spokesman William Hinkle told The Times North Road and State Road were proving problematic.

“There are a few different routes serving customers along the northern and state highways,” Hinkle wrote just before 1 p.m., “and the severe destruction has complicated the entire restoration process for all of the customers in We are actively working on this to complete the restoration this afternoon.

Trees were everywhere on Friday, both on the side of the road and in private yards. Branches, branches and trees remained visible. On Tashmoo Avenue in Tisbury, a large tree uprooted and fell on a house. In Oak Bluffs, a large tree branch fell on the roof of a house, slitting a notch in the roof line.

“It was technical – we installed it with ropes, a hoist and a friction device,” White Tree and Landscape Specialists’ Owen White said of the move.

A number of boats were recovered after being pulled from the moorings during the storm.

A 33-foot twin outboard pleasure boat named Love and Hate that had tipped upside down in Oak Bluffs harbor since Wednesday was righted Friday morning and supported by lifting bags. “It wasn’t easy,” said captain Mark Brown. Brown was aboard one of the two American Tow Boat that took part in the rescue. Brown said: “It just took a little finesse with both boats.”

Oak Bluffs Harbor Master Todd Alexander told The Times he didn’t know how the boat tipped over, but said a common way to capsize was to simply get overwhelmed.

Brown and his crew traveled to Lake Tashmoo from Oak Bluffs Harbor to lift a sunken sailboat.

“I’m just trying to do this before the time comes tomorrow,” he said.

From the floats to Lake Street Landing, all that could be seen of the sailboat was the top of a mast sticking out of the water. Local sailor Lynne Fraker, who was observing the rescue of a motorized dinghy, told The Times the sailboat was owned by Lynne Silva and was in good condition during the day on Wednesday, but then sank overnight.

While the sailboat operation was underway, West Tisbury sailor Mitch Gordon docked aboard his damaged motorboat Artemis. Artemis was transported in an offshore engineering skiff.

Gordon said Artemis was docked in Lake Tashmoo.

“It sank Wednesday night during the storm as we were all lying in our bed, listening to the wind scream and thinking it was in Tashmoo, that’s for sure – it’s in Tashmoo, that’s for sure,” said Gordon said. “And then I came down here and thought I had a boat over there.”

Gordon said he couldn’t see him anywhere from Lake Street Landing. He then went to Tisbury Water Works and couldn’t see his boat from there either. Eventually he walked along the shore and saw “a little bit of black hull sticking out – much like the one in Oak Bluffs … suspecting, he went bow first in the sand. Waves came in. , filled it up and then he rocked in. And, ah, he got a haircut.

By haircut, Gordon referred to the flying bridge, which was wrecked.

“But luckily when I finally found the boat, I went knocking on Ralph’s door,” Gordon said. “I didn’t know this was Ralph’s house. This really wonderful couple invited me in. We are looking out the window at the boat from their living room and the gentleman asked me “what are you going to do?” I said I think I should call Ralph Packer. The woman said ‘you talk to her’. So he just called, called his son and brought the crane. And after they pulled his boat off the shore there, they just tore it up.


Leave A Reply