Thanks to a federal grant of nearly $25,000, the Wilson Center Seniors’ Advisory Association is offering a full range of activities planned to mark this milestone anniversary.
Seniors in Port Coquitlam have been kept active, connected and entertained through social events hosted by a local organization that is still going strong after three decades.
Now, the Wilson Center Seniors’ Advisory Association (WCSAA) will soon celebrate its 30th anniversary with a full slate of events between September and June 2023 thanks to a recent federal grant.
On August 22, the group was awarded $24,650 to help organize “A Series of Fortunate Events,” which aims to engage seniors in workshops, sessions, and activities that “promote healthy aging, participation , inclusion and prevention of abuse”.
The money comes from the Canadian government’s New Horizons for Seniors program, which aims to help senior residents thrive and engage in their own communities.
WCSAA’s upcoming events are also supported by the City of Port Coquitlam, reads a statement sent to the News from the three cities.
The group says all PoCo seniors are welcome to attend any or all of its social events. Registration is required, explains WCSAA, and is either inexpensive or free.
For more information, you can visit the organization’s page on the city’s website or call the city at 604-927-7529.
Its schedule for the 2022-23 calendar year is as follows:
- September 13 and 27 = Kathleen Nadalin, ICBC’s Road and Community Safety Coordinator for the Tri-Cities, will explain the rules about keeping your driver’s license after age 80 and other issues that are faced by older drivers
- September 22 = WCSAA will host a 50s-themed birthday party for people born in August, September and October. Barry Wilson will perform
- September 29 = Bus Tour of the Year will visit Bloedel Conservatory and Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Garden
- October 6 = WCSAA will hold its Thanksgiving Service Event
- October 11 and 25 = A representative from the Senior Services Society of BC will discuss housing options for seniors
- Oct. 20 = Bus tour will visit UBC Museum of Anthropology and Botanical Gardens
- November 8 and 22 = SHARE Family Services will share information about the Better at Home program and other services they offer for seniors
- November 10 = WCSAA will host a luncheon for veterans
- November 23 = Seniors will head north on an excursion along the famous and very scenic Sea to Sky route to the Britannia Mine Museum
- November 24 = Classic Rewind will play to celebrate those born in November, December and January with a hippies and beatniks birthday party theme
- December 5 = Bus trip to Burnaby Heritage Village
- December 6 = A representative from the RCMP will lead a discussion on scams targeting seniors, keeping seniors safe at home and on the road
- December 15 = WCSAA will host a Christmas Luncheon
- January 25, 2023 = Vancouver Aquarium and Stanley Park Bus Tour
- February 16, 2023 = Valentine’s Day with family variations and a theme of perfect pairs, i.e.) Salt and Pepper, Romeo and Juliet, etc.
- February 23, 2023 = Bus trip to Science World
- April 20, 2023 = WCSAA will host an evening celebrating those born in March and April with a Spring Fling theme
- June 22, 2023 = Cruise ship-themed birthday party for people born in May and June