But his testimony was cut short when the attorney examining him suffered a medical emergency, leading to the call of first responders.
Di Tommaso’s testimony is expected to be followed by senior Alberta official Marlin Degrand, who will be asked to speak about the protests near the border in that province.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau invoked the Emergencies Act for the first time in Canadian history on February 14, arguing that its temporary and extraordinary powers were needed to end blockages in Ottawa and at border crossings.
The Emergency Public Order Commission is reviewing the Liberal government’s decision to invoke the law and is holding hearings in Ottawa until November 25.
Unions representing security screeners at Canada’s airports say that despite efforts to hire more workers, turnover of new employees is high.
The government agency responsible for security personnel has hired more than 2,000 new screeners through its contractors since the spring, which saw major delays and cancellations at Canadian airports.
David Lipton of the United Steelworkers union, which represents around 2,000 security screening officers at 41 airports, said only about a third of screening officers hired in recent months have stayed on, with the rest quitting, leaving during the period training or not. show up for training. Other unions have reported similar turnover levels for recent new hires.
For example, Lipton said the Ottawa airport needed 350 to 380 workers to have adequate staffing, although security employer GardaWorld disputed this, saying its target was less than 350. Currently, Ottawa has about 270, up from about 200 earlier this year, Lipton said.
Lipton said inflation has made current salaries for security screening less attractive, making it harder to retain workers. But he added that working conditions are also driving people away, because with fewer workers, shifts are longer and more stressful.
However, government and security employers say they are adequately staffed for holiday traffic.
Thousands of security guards are currently in negotiations with their employers, who are under contract with the transportation agency.
What we’re watching in the US…
MIAMI _ Hurricane Nicole made landfall early Thursday along the east coast of Florida. The storm was already battering much of the storm-weary state with high winds, dangerous storm surge and heavy rain, officials said.
November’s rare hurricane had already led authorities to close airports and theme parks and order evacuations, including former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club.
Authorities have warned that storm surge from Nicole could further erode many beaches hit by Hurricane Ian in September. The sprawling storm is then expected to track into Georgia and the Carolinas later Thursday and Friday, dumping heavy rains in the region.
Nicole was a Category 1 storm, with maximum sustained winds of 120 km/h early Thursday, the US National Hurricane Center said. It was centered about 25 kilometers east-southeast of Fort Pierce and was moving west-northwest at nearly 22 km/h.
Tropical storm-force winds extended up to 780 kilometers from the center in some directions. Nicole’s center is expected to move through central and northern Florida into southern Georgia on Thursday and into the evening, and into the Carolinas on Friday before heading into Atlantic Canada over the weekend.
A few tornadoes will be possible through Thursday morning in east central northeast Florida, the weather service said. Flash and urban flooding will be possible, along with further flooding of the St. Johns River across the Florida peninsula on Thursday. Heavy rain from this system will spread northward into parts of the Southeast, eastern Ohio Valley, mid-Atlantic and New England through Saturday.
Large swells generated by Nicole will affect the northwest Bahamas, the east coast of Florida and much of the southeast coast of the United States over the next few days.
Nicole is expected to weaken as it moves through Florida and the southeastern United States through Friday, and is likely to become a post-tropical cyclone by Friday afternoon.
What we watch in the rest of the world…
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) _ Protests in Iran raged in the streets on Thursday, with protesters recalling a bloody crackdown in the country’s southeast, even as the intelligence minister and chief of the The country’s army renewed their threats against local dissent and the rest of the world.
Meanwhile, a senior figure in Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guards claimed it had “succeeded” in disposing of so-called hypersonic missiles, without providing any evidence.
Protests in Iran, sparked by the September 16 death of a 22-year-old woman after she was detained by the country’s morality police, have become one of the biggest sustained challenges to the country’s theocracy since the chaotic months after his 1979 Islam. Revolution.
At least 328 people have been killed and 14,825 others arrested in the unrest, according to Human Rights Activists in Iran, a group that has been monitoring the protests for 54 days. For weeks, the Iranian government has remained silent on casualty figures while state media counterfactually claims security forces killed no one.
As protesters now return to the streets to mark 40th day memories for those killed earlier _ common commemorations in Iran and the wider Middle East _ the protests may turn into cyclical clashes between a public increasingly disillusioned and disillusioned security forces who are turning to greater violence to suppress them.
Online videos from Iran, despite government efforts to suppress the internet, appeared to show protests in Tehran, the capital, as well as other cities across the country. Near Isfahan, a video showed clouds of tear gas. Cries of “Death to the dictator” could be heard – a common chant in protests targeting Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
It was not immediately clear whether there were any injuries or arrests during this series of protests, although Iranian news agency IRNA acknowledged the protests near Isfahan. They commemorated the September 30 crackdown in Zahedan, a city in Iran’s restive Sistan and Baluchestan province, in which activists say security forces killed nearly 100 people in the deadliest violence to strike at the middle of the protests.
On this day in 1975…
The iron ore carrier “Edmund Fitzgerald” sank in a storm on Lake Superior with the loss of 29 crew members. The 222 meter long ship battled 7.5 meter waves and recorded winds of 125 km/h before sinking. The tragedy was commemorated in a song, “The Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald”, by Gordon Lightfoot.
ATLANTA _ Jane Fonda says the work of the Georgia-based nonprofit she founded to prevent teen pregnancy has become “much more important” in the months since the cancellation of Roe v . Wade by the Supreme Court of the United States and the constitutional right to abortion that it guaranteed to women in the United States.
The activist and Oscar winner was a vocal critic of the court’s decision, previously calling it “inadmissible”.
While a post-Roe world will be more difficult for girls because they are the ones expected to carry a baby, work to address teenage pregnancy must also focus on teens, said Fonda, who was at Atlanta for a fundraiser Thursday to celebrate the 27th anniversary of the Georgia Campaign for Teen Power and Potential.
“We need to help our boys understand that they don’t need to get a girl pregnant to be men, that being a real man means taking care of yourself, respecting your body and that of your partner,” said Founded. “Things are much, much harder for boys and girls now and, so teaching them skills around their reproductive health, how to stay healthy, how to avoid pregnancy, how to say no, how to have power over their body, these things are more important than ever.
Fonda, 84, founded the Georgia Campaign for Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention in 1995 when she lived in Atlanta and Georgia had the highest teenage birth rate in the United States.
In 2012, the organization changed its name and expanded its mission beyond preventing teen pregnancy to include nutrition and physical activity. The group says its programs now reach more than 60,000 young people each year.
“We need to educate them about how their bodies work so they know how to protect themselves,” Fonda said. “We need to help young people see that they have a future that will be productive, that they can work for _ towards, that they can strive for _ and get into trouble when they’re teenagers and have a baby when you’re very young will make that future even more difficult.
According to the United States Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, the birth rate for 15-19 year olds in the United States in 2020 was down 8% from the previous year and 75% from its peak. from 1991.
Have you seen this?
The Canadian War Museum claims to have acquired three other Victoria Crosses awarded to Canadians during the First World War.
The British Empire’s highest military decorations were awarded to 2nd Lt. Edmund De Wind, Sgt. Thomas William Holmes and Pte. James Peter Robertson for extreme gallantry and gallantry.
Peter Harris is Robertson’s great-nephew and says the story of his great-uncle Peter’s exploits at Passchendaele is well known to his family.
Robertson single-handedly destroyed a German machine-gun nest in November 1917, then led his unit towards their objective before being killed while saving a comrade.
Harris says he hopes more Canadians can learn about his great-uncle’s heroism and sacrifice now that his Victoria Cross is in the museum.
The museum now has 36 of the 73 Victoria Crosses awarded to Canadians during the First World War, including seven of the nine awarded at Passchendaele.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published on November 10, 2022
The Canadian Press