Now that Thanksgiving has passed, the Christmas season is in full swing. Save Old Cleburne kicks off the festivities with the annual Candlewalk Houses Tour on Saturday.
The candlelight walk is from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturdays. Tickets are $ 12 in presale and are available at the Cleburne Chamber of Commerce, Layland Museum, and Heritage Home Vintage Inspired Living, 208 E. Henderson St. in downtown Cleburne.
Tickets on the day of the event are $ 15.
A Christmas market will also be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Hilltop Barn, 2770 CR 1125B.
The “Driving Tour of Lights” also officially begins on Saturday and continues until the end of the month. The winners of the best decorated homes will be announced shortly after Christmas. Maps of participating houses in both events are also available.
308 Wilson Street West.
John W. Hirt moved to Cleburne in 1886, becoming a prominent civic and business leader as part-owner of Hirt & Miller Meat Market at 109 N. Anglin St. After living in an old house at 308 W. Wilson St ., he and his wife, Sally, replaced the original house with this Victorian Queen Anne.
They started building it in 1905 and finished it in 1907. An artist from Fort Worth was commissioned. to faux-finish woodworking throughout the house. He painted roses and an ox in the wood grain on one of the three sets of pocket doors. The house has three fireplaces with original tiles and mantels. Three original stained glass windows are in the attic rooms. The house remained in the Hirt family for several generations until 1984.
The house has been bought and sold several times, with the owners updating it, following repairs and maintenance. Former owners Mike and Debbie Barber put the house on the Candlewalk Tour in 1999.
Gary and Roxann Decker, having lived in Burleson and Tarrant County for 29 years, began looking for an older home in Corsicana, Hillsboro or Waxahachie. They kept seeing the house appear and decided to come to Cleburne and look at it. They bought the house in October 2020 and have become the stewards of this part of Cleburne’s history.
Last year has passed as the Deckers have modified the house, adding kitchen and bathroom cabinets, a dishwasher and a master closet. The doors, woodwork and hardware are original to the house although some have been moved to other areas to allow updating. Sidewalks have been added from the back of the house to the garage.
Victorian in style, the house has a beautiful wraparound porch. The entrance to the house is a large hall flanked by tall sliding doors opening onto a living room on either side. A formal dining room, kitchen and master bedroom suite complete the first floor. Upstairs, three bedrooms, one double as a playroom and one double as an office.
1910 Hudson House
720 N. Robinson ST.
The first owner of this 1910 Cottage home was a widow, Emily Handle. She sold the house in 1921 to move to Fort Worth to live with her daughter. The house also had a barn and a field behind it. Over the years, a back porch has been closed to create a new kitchen and two small rooms. The exterior of the house is painted in its original paint colors.
Jackie Hudson bought the house in 1977 for $ 10,500, becoming its eighth owner. He hadn’t thought about renovating his house until he married Linda in 1991.
Jackie Hudson, a skilled woodcarver, displayed her Noah’s Ark in the living room as well as her water bird sculptures in the den.
Linda Hudson’s “Little Girls’ Dream” bedroom features two crystal chandeliers, antique dolls and a lighted two-story miniature dollhouse that Jackie Hudson gave her. The formal dining room is now the “Christmas room” with a large tree decorated in blues and silver. Hand-carved rocking horses with leather saddles and horsehair manes sit among the gifts under the tree. On either side of the tree are family photos from the 1870s.
Next to the master bedroom are two rooms, Linda Hudson’s Sewing / Quilting Room and Jackie Hudson’s Music Room. The kitchen leads to the back yard where the original barn is now a carpentry workshop. The yard is immaculate with a lily pond, lounge area with gazebo and greenhouse / playhouse.
This is the fifth time the Hudsons have had their home on the Candlewalk Tour. Longtime members of Save Old Cleburne, the Hudsons restored their home in the 1990s and repainted and refurnished the interior this year.