Rise and shine, Upper West Side! It’s Wednesday, so let’s get started with everything you need to know.
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
Cloudy. High: 46 Low: 43.
Here are the best stories on the Upper West Side today:
- Suspect on the run after two teenagers shot dead on the Upper West Side (WABC-TV)
- New York restaurateurs have mixed reactions to COVID-19 vaccine mandate (New York Post)
- West Side Rag »2021: A Rag Retrospective (westsiderag.com)
- Has crime increased on the Upper West Side in 2021? A breakdown (Upper West Side Patch)
- PHOTOS: Surviving Year 2 of COVID in New York City
- How disgust explains it all (The New York Times)
Today’s Upper West Side Daily is brought to you in part from our friends at GoodRx – the best way to save money on your prescriptions. GoodRx helps you find the lowest prices for drugs at local pharmacies, so you don’t overpay. Also works for pet medications! To see how much you can save, visit GoodRx.com.
Today on the Upper West Side:
From my notebook:
- American Museum of Natural History: “It’s trilobite time on Tuesday!” Exceptionally large specimens of the Ordovician Uralichas trilobite, like the one pictured here, have been found in Morocco and Portugal. Although complete specimens – reaching up to 17.7 inches (45 cc … “(Facebook)
- American Museum of Natural History: “Have you ever heard of the southern tamandua (Tamandua tetradactyla)? It is a species of anteater from the forests of South America. It nibbles on ants and termites, using its 40cm long tongue to pick up its prey in I … “(Facebook)
- American Museum of Natural History: “On that day in 1831, Charles Darwin, 22, embarked on the HMS Beagle as the ship’s naturalist for a voyage around the world. For most of the next five years, the Beagle surveyed the coast of England. ‘South America, leaving Darwin free to explain … “(Facebook)
- Central park: “Celebrate the arrival of the ‘most wonderful time of the year’ with this special virtual walk through one of Central Park’s most scenic winter landscapes, the snow-capped North Woods! Join us Thursday, December 30 at 3:00 p.m. ET: https: // bit … “(Facebook)
- New York Historical Society: “🎶 Radio City Music Hall opened in New York #OnThisDay in 1932, offering the world’s largest auditorium. …” (Facebook)
- Central park: “In the face of record snowfall, numerous heat waves, massive flooding and even smoke from wildfires on the West Coast, our #CentralParkConservancy staff have adapted to many environmental challenges in maintaining the park. This year. Like Central Park feels t … ”(Facebook)
- Central park: “This year started with a record snowfall in the park, encouraging restless New Yorkers to get out there and have some fun and keep our staff at #CentralParkConservancy busy shoveling and plowing the park’s 843 acres, so Ne. ..” (Facebook)
- American Folk Art Museum: “In 1879, Lemuel Cooper’s generous farmhouse was painted by Paul Seifert, a German immigrant from Dresden who arrived in Wisconsin on a logging raft. Seifert’s granddaughter noted his love of order and the pleasure he took to portray the re … “(Facebook)
- Central park: “On the park’s 843 acres, you can find sprawling landscapes, sweeping arches and bridges, large works of art, towering trees, and more. But what about the little details – and sometimes overlooked – who make Central Park special? … “(Facebook)
- West Side campaign against hunger: “One of our partner sites on the Winn Residential / Diego Beekman Housing site recently shared the following about their partnership with WSCAH:“ Farm-fresh food is neither affordable nor convenient in the Mott Haven section of the south of Bron … ”(Facebook)
- Riverside Park Conservatory: “Winter Walks with Tiberius & Gemstone The Dogist” (Facebook)
- West Side campaign against hunger: “WSCAH Joins the 3rd Annual Cinematters Film Festival: NY Social Justice Film Festival showcasing films and conversations that are activating social change taking place January 13-17. Check out the official film list here: http: / /cinematters.film … “(Facebook)
- Symphony area: “We’re excited to share the Symphony Space 2021 soundtrack, a Spotify playlist dedicated to songs that have made sense to Symphony Space staff throughout the year. Check it out and tell us what what do you think ! .” (Facebook)
- Symphony area: “” One of my favorite moments of our 2021 season was dancing to Lollise from my home. Thank goodness for the live broadcasts and the solo dance parties! “-Kristin, Senior Marketing Manager Stay tuned for more highlights from the 2021 season!” (Facebook)
- Lincoln Square Business Improvement District: Tomorrow 12/29 /: VocalSoul & The Fabulous Fezziwigs will perform in front of the Lincoln Square Christmas tree for the last 2 pop-ups of our Holidays in Lincoln Square lineup. VocalSoul will perform from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm & The Fabulous .. .” (Facebook)
- Manhattan Community Council 7: “CB7 Board of Directors plenary meeting Tuesday January 4 at 6:30 p.m. On Zoom – Register at bit.ly/CB7-FullBoard-Jan https://www1.nyc.gov/site/manhattancb7/meetings/full -board- agenda.page “(Facebook)
More from our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
Concerts and services:
Do you like the Upper West Side Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You are officially in the loop for today! See you tomorrow for your next update.
– Gus Saltonstall
About me: Hi Patch readers! I’m a Patch reporter covering the Manhattan neighborhoods of West Village, Upper West Side, and Washington Heights / Inwood. If you like my writing, please subscribe to Patch’s newsletters. Graduated from Dickinson College. Born and raised on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Send your tips to [email protected]